Saturday, October 6, 2012

Is this acceptable?

Last week, I wrote a blog about Billie Joe Armstrong's meltdown at the iHeart Radio Festival in Las Vegas. I don't think I need to re-post the video.  What we saw was a childish temper tantrum by someone old enough to know better.  Fans of Green Day and other so-called "non-conformist" types chimed in on several posts either on YouTube or Facebook, praising Billie Joe for his "taking a stand," all the while, ignoring the guy may have some serious issues not dealt with.  When it all came down, Billie Joe was very self-centered in his approach to the whole thing.  I doubt he really took into account of how it would affect the rest of Green Day.  To say the least, it was all about him.

Similarly, I read an article on the Blabbermouth site about Anette Olzon leaving Nightwish, a well-known Finnish symphonic metal band.  From what I gathered, the band would have had to cancel several shows due to Anette being too ill to perform, so they hired two substitute singers to take her place so that the shows would not be cancelled.  Unfortunately, this didn't go well for Anette, and she was quite miffed.  Although she didn't go off like Billie Joe did, she certainly showed her disapproval, as if no one could possibly take her place.

Two different situations, two different reactions, but the same attitude that many who are in entertainment seem to give off.  I'm not sure if anyone would see the same thing I do in this, but if I had children, I would never accept this type of behavior.  I'm sure I'm talking to several parents out there.  They talk about the "terrible twos" where kids would often throw themselves on the floor and yell and scream about not getting what they want.  Most parents I know will let that child wear himself or herself out.  Often, I've heard stuff like, "Too bad, you're not getting it."  As the Rolling Stones said in one song, "You can't always get what you want."  If we don't accept this from our children, why then, do we as a society, accept it from our entertainers?  Why are we so quick to jump to their defense when an entertainer feels he or she is being wronged or snubbed?  Is it an illusion of invincibility, that somehow, we blind ourselves to the fact that our entertainers are actually real people who somehow need to be brought down to earth?

I can even remember when I was in college and feeling like I was at the top of my game, and sometimes acting like it.  That was until I went to California State University, Fresno.  Literally, I was brought down to earth when I realized there were other female singers who could outdo me in range and performance.  That, in itself was a humbling experience, and something that needed to happen before I went any further in life as a musician.

So, what does the Bible have to say about this?  Plenty.

Proverbs 16:18

King James Version (KJV)
18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

This lesson may not yet apply to Anette Olzon.  Billie Joe ended up learning it the hard way.  All his reaction did was bring him a broken guitar and a trip to rehab.

Jesus had a few words to say as well. 

Matthew 23:11-12

King James Version (KJV)
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Being humbled may not be the most comfortable thing in the world.  In fact, it can make a person feel smaller than small.  However, consider that the "least shall be the greatest" in the words of Jesus.  He knew how to lift us up in a way that HE gets the glory, not us.  So, as such, we should continue to pray for our entertainers.  After all, they are seen as leaders, but like any of us, they need to be brought down to earth to understand what life is really like away from the glitz.  In the end, they're just like you and me.  They're just in the spotlight, more.

No comments:

Post a Comment