Tuesday, August 7, 2012

P.O.D., My Response

LadyRocker (Lia), Sonny and Jane (TigerRefuge).
When my fiancĂ© and I decided to go to Cornerstone, this year, we wanted to make sure we bought plenty of CD's for our collection and we wanted make sure we had current material for our album features we do on Christian Rock and Fellowship.  We had no knowledge of the current controversy surrounding the band, Payable On Death, otherwise known to most folks as P.O.D.  It was told to us that there were two versions of the album, one for the Christian market and another one for the secular market.  I decided I'd get a good listen to the album before I made any judgments. On the left is my picture with Sonny Sandoval, along with my friend, Jane.  This was taken at Cornerstone in 2010.  We had the opportunity to talk to him, personally about his new ministry team called "The Whosovevers."  This description is taken from John 3:16, and yes, it was in the King James Version.  I believe his heart is right, but I had to take a pause as to why he, and the others in P.O.D. decided to make this decision.

The album, Murdered Love was played in the Christian Rock and Fellowship room in Paltalk, minus the final track, "I Am."  In it, Sonny describes the types of people that they come across every day, the ones who are being ministered by the whole Whosoever team.  Having seen the presentation once at Cornerstone, 2011, I believe I really understand what they're trying to do and who they're trying to reach.  However, there's a bit of a discrepancy when they use the f-bomb in the last line of the chorus when they say, "I know this is the only Son of God, but tell me who the f*** is He?"  The song is from the point-of-view of someone who knows about God, but can't quite fathom Him in the midst of the struggle.  That, I understand, but as a seasoned believer in Christ, one who has been in the Word for approximately 30 years, it is a bit disturbing.  I could even understand from a new-believer perspective, but not from a seasoned one.  Here is why:

Ephesians 4:29

King James Version (KJV)
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I understand the nature of what we see in 2 Corinthians 9:22 about "being all things to all people that we may save some.  Don't have a problem with that, but here's something that we need to think about when we use words that are not designed for edifying.

Here's my advice to Sonny and the others.  You've got a great ministry, and it is well-spoken of, and is doing great things.  I cannot fault you for that.  On the other hand, be cauttious about what you are doing.  Don't try to be so much like the world you're reaching by stooping to their level.  It would be good to recognize what Paul had to say in 1 Corinthians 6:9:12:

1 Corinthians 6:9-12

King James Version (KJV)
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

I won't sit to be judge and jury, but I do have a simple warning, and one out of love.  Paul is talking about some of the same people that P.O.D. were describing in the song, but take note that the verses afterwards say, "and such were some of you."  A seasoned believer would understand that this would likely be a past behavior, and something that they don't want to go back to.  We don't want to brag about our salvation in Christ, but rather, we need to be able to show them the better, more perfect way.  In doing so, I think we will make a much better witness than attempting to try to copy the world's ways.

As such, you will probably not hear "I Am" in Christian Rock and Fellowship or in Rock of Intercession.  This is a decision I have made, and I will stand by it, simply because I don't want to cause offence to new believers.  As for Sonny, I hope you do well with what you're doing and also with the Whosoevers.  I just won't stand behind this final song for the reasons I mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment