Monday, August 6, 2012

Cornerstone, 2012 In Remembrance


When I heard it was the final Cornerstone, I figured I'd better take my chances and make it over there.  Well, sure enough, I did, and was all the better or it.  My fiancé and I met up for the second time, and we would experience this great adventure together, through the dust, heat, and yes, even the porta-potty stench.  

Hardcore was still a main staple, though I confess there wasn't nearly as much that I observed this year. Eldon and I actually saw some acts that were not harcore, some of them were not usually part of our staple music selctions.  Out of all the bands we saw, we thought the 77s did an awesome show.  The Violet Burning did a great job on their set.  The Crossing was a nice diversion from all the rock we were listening to.  Neal Morse wowed the crowd with his very progressive style of music, plus his testimony.  And the Choir made for a fitting end to the fest.  Even the newer bands we saw showed great potential.  Light Up the Darkness, a family band, was well on their way to impress some folks at another major=label festival.  Every Knee Shall Bow was quite young, but their testimony was very bold.  Leper would be one of the darker acts we would see, this year.  Last hut not least, Becming the Archetype will have to forgive me for falling asleep at their show.  Thought not my style of music, BTA is reaching plenty of peopl e in the metal scene with their modern brand of music.  

More than the music, though. the fellowship was probably the drawing force for this final Cornerstone.  Everyone that I spoke to talked about how great people were and how the festival made and shaped them.  For 29 years, Cornerstone proved to not just be a musical fest, but it also brought many people together.  As for me, I've attended 7 Cornerstone events.  Every year brought something different, even through my well-published flight nightmares from different airports.  Each year, God would impress on me something different and new.  It would take too long to detail everything between those years, but I've grown closer to a lot of people as a result of Cornerstone, and as Christian Rock and Fellowship has progressed, I have come to know more musicians through Cornerstone.

A few special people come to mind, even as I am typing this.  They have made this year, an experience to remember in more ways than one, and all good. 

Harry Gore: Thank you so much for giving my Independence Day a performance to remembewr.  Yeah, I know we messed up the words to certain songs, but we pulled through very nicely.  Hope to perform with you more often!

Ben and Amy Aldrich: Thank you so much for making me and Eldon feel welcome in the Asylum.  You guys were very generous, and I was glad to finally meet you.

Mike Roe: I'm not that dumb of a camera person.  I'm just a bit slow on the draw.  Yo'll have to forgive me.

Ben (AshGhul): Another Asylum persson who welcomed us.  Those of us Sanctuary vagabonds found the Asylum a place to call "home base."  

Romona, thanks for your talk about the Holy Spirit.  His power is more excellent than we realize.  As the third person of the Trinity, we often forget that our Lord gave us a Comforter to protect us and cover us with His power.

Last, but not least, Eldon, my honey: Thank you for sticking with me through the fest.  I think he enjoyed it more this year than last.  I think the fellowship made the difference.  

I am hearing rumors of an "Occupy Cornerstone" movement.  I hope this is truly a God-thing.  All those who want to bring back the nostalgia should remember one thing, if anything: even if something never materializes, we must realise that Cornerstone gave us some tools to take back with us that we can use in or own ministries.  That snse of community should be the building block for all of us.  Read the book of Nehemiah and see how that sense of community help build a wall to protect Jerusalem.  Enemies would come with mocking, ridicule and weapons to try to dismantle the project, but Nehemiah and the people stood firm in their resolve to finish the wall.  Let's work on the building project God has for all of us.  He has given us the tools from our time at Cornerstone.  Now, let's work together!

No comments:

Post a Comment